Track Meet Two 2019 Part II


Title: Track Meet Two 2019
Part II

When I was growing up I would sometimes go out and throw the football, Frisbee, or baseball with dad.  It’s a very traditional American image, the father and the son “having a catch.”  The weird thing was I was a soccer player but I enjoyed those times!  Sometimes my brother and I would get up early on a nice day and go out to throw the football before our car pool ride came.  I’m sure this sort of image was what I thought I would be doing with my kids someday... but I couldn’t have been more wrong.  In seventh grade my daughter, and I loved doing a sport together but it wasn’t one involving throwing or kicking a ball to each other.  It involved a $15, 000 matt system ($20, 000 today) and a $400 pole.  Autumn was a pole vaulter and she liked it!  Her seventh grade year she had tested up to Varsity and we were going to have some one-on-one time pole vaulting!  We got to practice EARLY and I do mean early!  Together we began to strip the cover off the matts and got ready to go!  Then another car pulled into the parking lot. 

“It must be a community member coming to walk the track,” I muttered to myself.  It wasn’t.  A track kid got out of the car and it was a modified student no less!  A seventh grader just like my daughter.  “Hang on,” I sighed and ran across the complex to the kid.  “Hey!” I yelled.  “It’s really early for practice!”  The seventh grade boy turned to me.  I stated grumpily, “I’m just here practicing with my daughter right now!  Practice won’t start for at least a half-an-hour!” 

His mother called out, “He just wanted to throw for a minute.”  Like my daughter, he was trying to beat the crush of practice (in this case the discus circle), when the varsity kids came in.  “Oh,” I replied.  I should have been thrilled this kid was coming in so early to work on a track skill but as I looked at him I thought, “Thrower?”  Devon had long legs and thin body giving him the look of a hurdler or a distance runner, not a thrower.  Over the next few years I would push Devon into hurdles and despite the fact that he looks like a hurdler, he didn’t like it.  He still likes to throw the discus though! 

It’s not like he was a natural at it either.  Devon threw in obscurity for years.  I more saw Devon as a guy who ran the 800 and mile for us... and as a hobby, he tossed the discus.  To Devon it wasn’t a hobby.  It was what he had passion for.  Autumn’s grandmother bought her a pole vault pole and Devon’s family bought him his own discus.  Last year was the first time I saw Devon as a thrower.    We were at the “Tiger” invitational and it was just awful.  I had given the speech to the kids about taking ever opportunity to improve and they had listened and come over break to this invite but it was a nightmare!  It was cold enough for snow but rain is what we got at points!  It was just an awful day and little was going right!  The 3200 relay team that Devon was a part of had high hopes but when we lined up there was only one other team!  I couldn’t believe it!  Seventeen teams were there... at least and there was only ONE other team?  Worst, they were about our level and we lost to them.  We didn’t even get a good time.  Four discouraged boys and myself shivered back to the tent.  What an awful day!  Oh, there were bright spots though.  Jillian had a good day in the 3000 meter slow heat!  (Yeah, there is only ONE guys 3200 relay team besides us but there are TWO heats of the 3000 for girls??????  How does that work????)  Autumn came in second in pole vault and third in discus!  AND an 800 runner named Devon Hawkins, who always liked to throw, placed well in the discus!  He was very excited!

Fast forward to last night.  Another 800 runner who throws, Dylan Draper came running up to me.  “I threw a 104 tonight coach!”  My eyebrows went up!  That is a big PR.  Last meet my guys had had an awful day and they couldn’t throw out of the low 80s!  He added, “Hawk (Devon Hawkins) threw a 105!”  Wow!  Two kids who didn’t look like throwers at all had won the meet and were on their way to maybe getting a ribbon at sectionals in the event!  It had been an awful night for it too!  The wind was blowing the wrong way and it was strong!  The high jump bar was blown off its posts more than once!  What a night to PR!  Dylan and Devon would go first and second in the 800 too!

Reese Draper, has been on a jumping rampage lately!  Reese has been that kid who did various events but was kind of a background kind of guy.  Last year he would take points in a meet, but was never a huge contributor.  On Tuesday night Reese won the Triple Jump, Long Jump, and the High Jump!  Wow!!  Our new varsity guys coach was a jumper in school and so he is very excited about Reese! 

We were behind in the boys 1600 relay and it wasn’t because Dylan and Tristan gave up.  They keep pushing even though we were losing but it looked like it was over!  Then Lance caught his opponent!  Lance is new to our program but ran track for a different school and they did a good job training him in hurdles!  BUT I don’t think the Lance was a big relay guy at that school because he was right behind CG’s third guy and he needed to exchange in lane two!  “Lance,” I screamed over the wind, “Lane TWO!!  Lane TWO!!!”  Whether he heard me or figured it out, I don’t know, but he hopped lanes and headed for the last exchange.  It looked like we were going to win!  Then the exchange went bad and we lost precious time, while the other team rocketed away!  Oh, to be so close and then come up short!  Or had we?  Aaron Flint roared away, a man on a mission!  He made some progress but the kid he was up against was pushing hard, trying to keep the win.  On the last hundred Aaron began to visibly gain!  Would it be enough though?  He gained a little and a little and a little, until finally crossing the line in front and winning!  What a race!

Speaking of Lance, he won the 110 hurdles and helped win the 400 relay!  In the 400 relay Lance, Tristan, Aaron team up with Tommy to make a great team!  It was our second 400 relay win and we have been up against legit teams! 

When Kaeden Moore quit baseball and came over to track I didn’t know what to make of him at first.  It wasn’t that he was bad his first day with us (he’s actually kind of quiet) but I wasn’t sure why he had come over.  Now I know.  The kid can run!  At the meet on Tuesday he went second in the 100 AND the 200!  He scored six points total AND he looks like he might be a good hurdler too!  He has definitely found a home on our team!

Hunter Heck did not have a great day Tuesday night.  He crashed into the pole vault bar and got buried in the mile.  Why am I mentioning him then?  Last night I see him out with the distance unit.  The poor guy has little distance experience and soon is passed by my twin distance machines Pink and Cash but he keeps going.  Toward the end I catch up to him and we work on stride together.  “I think you should join the distance unit,” I tell him, as we are both trying to stride out.  He agrees.  Poor guy, today we are doing 400 repeats... I wonder if he’ll throw up:)

I forgot to take blocks down to the line for the other team.  It has been something Mr. Davis has done for years and I know he does this but I forgot to do it.  We usually take our own blocks to a meet, so I didn’t really even think about it.  The CG coach was not pleased to find out his runners didn’t have enough blocks for the first few short distance races.  Immediately I apologized and dashed inside the building to get the two new blocks we had not assembled yet.  Unfortunately I didn’t have time to work on them, so our hero from last meet, Brock Miles, worked hard, assembling them so that they were ready for the 400 relay and the events beyond it!  Brock has been a hero more than once in meets providing handyman skills to our team.  His mom says he helps his dad all the time at home and I believe it!! 

Leland had finished his jumping and 400 hurdles and came over to pole vault.  The CG big vaulter, Caleb, was also waiting.  Caleb really impressed my wife!  I had to stick her in vault more than once while I did other things.  She complained to the boys, “I’m just a baby sitter, I don’t know a lot about this.”  Instead of getting angry, Caleb came right over and began to help her!  My wife had nothing but good to say about him and told me more than once to make sure his coach knew how helpful he was!  Nice or not, he was on the other team and Leland was our big vaulter.  Leland went down the runway and failed to launch, breaking the plane (the zero line).  Dutifully I marked down the fault.  When he messed up a second time he looked frazzled.  “Bud, relax and vault.”  I told him.  Later he would explain that his hands were so cold he couldn’t keep a grip on the pole.  The third time he caught fire and easily went over 8 feet.  “Dad, I can’t do this tonight,” he said.  “Can I be done?”  Sometimes I would have said, “No,” but I sensed it was not his night.  “Alright, bud.”  I need to bring gloves for him next cold meet!  Still he secured three points and will have to take Caleb on a different day... hopefully when the sun is shining!!!

Quincy was disappointed.  He had dazzled us with an amazing throw at his first meet but was off it by several feet the next.  “Well,” I said with a small smirk, “you still won.”  He nodded with a smile.  Quincy is only a second year thrower and is doing fantastic!!!!

*** Author Adrian Essigmann has eighteen books in print on Amazon.com, soon to be nineteen!  All of them are $.99 cents on Kindle, with the exception of “An Assumed Risk” which will be (Lord willing) an e-book before summer.  All of his books are available in soft cover too!  Type Amazon Adrian Essigmann and his author’s page should come up ***




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

A Writer's Journey Part II

The Old Track Dog