Strangers in a Strange Land Part I


Title: Strangers in a Strange Land
Part I

I have an AD that likes to stay on top of things and I appreciate that.  When we see each other in January, she tells me, “As soon as you can, let me know what track invitationals you want to attend this year, and I’ll get you registered.”  I got her the list in February, asked for one more invite than normal, and was pleased when she granted it!!  But after a few days she did send me a concerned email about the first invitational.  “Did you know that the first invite you scheduled is on the same day as Prom?”  I did know that because my daughter had brought it up to me.  I told Autumn, “It’s a buddy meet for field events and has hurdle relays!  We can get a lot of nice ribbons for girls as I can pair them up with you in field events!  AND it’s a straight up hurdle relay, as in ten hurdles!  Come on, we will rock it!”  Autumn nodded and said, “Okay, if it means some girls getting some great ribbons, I’ll make it work.”  The AD liked the sound of kids getting nice ribbons too and we were all excited.  Then at the coaches meeting I found out that the relay and partner track meet had gotten canceled.  I guess they had a huge craft fair scheduled and that was going to eat up all of their parking.  I had been hoping to give our new girls a confidence boost and on the guys side maybe even win, but that was gone now.

Oh, well!  Alexander was next on the schedule and that would be a good meet.  The new girls probably wouldn’t get ribbons but they would do well!  As for our guys, I was confident they would do some real damage!  Mrs. Green emails me out of the blue, “The Alexander meet was closed twenty minutes after opening registration!  They are not taking any more teams!”  WHAT????  I got on the computer and began looking for another meet, grumbling about Alexander.  It wasn’t my AD’s fault, she had been all over it, and I still thought it was dumb that they hadn’t taken more teams.  I start scrolling through different invites but it was slim picking!  I jumped out of the Section V website and went to Tully Runners opening up invites from all over New York State.  There was a meet in Johnson City, Section IV... which I suspected was what I call a “Big boy, big girl meet!”  Were we really ready for that?

What do I mean a big boy or a big girl meet?  The first year I coached track I had a girl destroy the 1500 all season long and then get to State Qs only to come in dead last.  After that I looked for a meet with big schools and found one called the “Waverly Invitational”.  The competition level was extremely hard and that’s what we wanted!  I’ll never forget when we got to Waverly our first time and our guys high jumper went over to do his thing.  He came back with a long face.  “How did you do?” I asked.  “I didn’t make it over opening height,” he replied glumly.  His best jump had been in the high fours and at Waverly they started the bar at 5 feet!  Yes, Toto, we weren’t in Kansas anymore!  We went to Waverly for several years but finally stopped when our talent level switched.  Our guys team was small at that point and our girls didn’t need that level of competition.  That was when we started going to Alexander and that meet was just fine!  Were we really ready to go back to competing with A schools?

“How bad could it really be?” you might ask.  Well, my school, Jasper-Troupsburg, is a Class D school with a size rating of 117 (based on school enrollment).  Johnson City has rating of 562 and Binghamton, which I was sure would be there (and was), had a rating of 1096... that is an A level school.  If you follow the leader board and put yourself up with the As, one of your athletes might still there but the rest will vanish all together.  For example if you hit the boys 400 right now and put in class D with both A classes, only one of mine and his biggest rival are still on the list of top 25 (or we will when we get his newest time in there!).  If you drop out the As we have two guys in the top ten alone and another in the top 15!  If you put in Ds with the As in the 800 on the leader board only one D is left at 25th place and it is not one of my guys.  Now you can see why I was very hesitant to enter such a meet!

I decided to go for it and told Mrs. Green to pull the trigger on it!  That day I got a confirmation email with a list of seventeen other schools on the list.  Only one of them was small like us and Corning was on that list!!!! (Corning is rated 1248!!!  Yipe!!)  I have a parishioner who is the head mechanic for Corning and so nonchalantly mentioned to him that we were facing Corning in an invitational.  “What?” he asked, his eyes popping, probably thinking I was kidding.  “JT is taking on Corning at an invite?  When is that happening?  I’ve got to see this!”  Kevin graduated from JT and is a huge fan of our XC program, so he wasn’t making fun of the team, he was just amazed we were going to be in a meet with schools the size of Corning.

One night before practice I explained that the invite was on the edge of Spring Break and that it was going to be rough.  I didn’t sugar coat it.  It was like when Yakko from Animaniacs was giving his army a pep talk in the Anvilania episode and they all run away in terror.  Dot says, “Maybe you should have lied a little!”  When I got done grimly laying out what we might be facing, I growled, “It is going to be a strictly voluntary meet, so don’t feel like you have to go.”  Actually, it wasn’t voluntary for everyone.  I told my son Leland he was going.  He looked at me blankly and then asked, “All I would be doing there is pole vault, right?”  “Yes.”  He relaxed a little and nodded.  The other two that didn’t have a choice were Cash and Pink.  Cash complained, “Why don’t I get a choice!”  I told her she needed to get a good look at higher level competition.  Pink didn’t say anything but she was nervous. 

I was very pleased with the amount of kids who signed up!  The other two members of the girls 3200 relay team signed up, Team Captain Jilly Bean and Dezie!!  Then Zoe joined us too!  Almost half the team!  The boys had both Captains and several vets came along too.  On Thursday night I came to practice early to print out the event sheets for the meet.  I ran them down to Coach Laurens and we began to go through them with the team.  Kids were nervously grabbing at sheets searching for their names.  We were all a little scared to be honest, hoping we would at least stack up okay.  “OH NO!!!” I cried out.  “What?” kids asked timidly.  “There are only THREE 3200 relay girls teams in!!  I should have put us in!!!”  Team Captain Jilly Bean dashed over and stared at the paper.  “Look coach!  Team three isn’t even as good as we are!”  Ugg!!!  I cry out, “They have two heats of the girls 1500 but only THREE girl 3200 relay teams???”  I flipped over to the boys 3200 relay and they were jam packed!  Nothing I could do about it but it at that point but it would have been a nice confidence boost for the girls!  Why didn’t I put them in?  Well, remember that big girl meet I used to go to?  Yeah, when we ran our 3200 relay the other teams were finishing when Courtney Cornell got the baton!  Yipe!  I did not want my rookie 3200 relay team to get hammered at their first invitational! 

Autumn was in the top six of pole vault (no surprise there... Autumn’s summer pole vault club is run by an A school coach) and while Aaron was not in the top six of the 400, his times were close to theirs!  Our best athletes were stacking up well!  Those athletes in the slow heats had people about their ability level to compete with and it should be a good day for them too!  The only big disappointment is that Dylan missed a faster 800 heat by one place!  I said, “That is tough!  What I would do is run your first 400 at open 400 time, stride out the next 200, and put everything you have in the last 200!”  Dylan smiled and said, “That is just what Coach Laurens told me!”  I was very happy that night!  We weren’t going to win the meet of course but we were going to stack up nicely against our competitors! 

The next day I got up in high spirits and noticed the sports boosters had put up a post wishing the track team luck at our invitational.  Since the team hosting the invitational were also the Wildcats, we were headed for “Wildcats” stadium.  I posted a picture of that on the sports boosters page and stated, “At least we have homefield advantage!”  The only weird thing is that the JC wildcats have red and white colors.  I’m sorry but it you see a fire engine red cat with flecks of white coming out of its mouth, it is probably sick and you should shoot it immediately!!!!!  Our school colors, black and silver are much more catlike and dangerous looking!!!  I stopped to buy a coffee at the Jasper Junction and was asked where the track team was going.  “Wildcat Stadium!” I announced.  With a smirk I repeated my homefield advantage joke and they all got a kick out of it.

Can you think of a fantasy story where the heroes don’t travel anywhere?  I can’t.  Every single Terry Brooks novel has the heroes off to a far away land, Tolkien did the same thing, and myriads of other fantasy stories!  Usually in that story it is a small group that is trying to slip into enemy territory with dangers all around them and massive enemy armies.  If they do make contact with the enemy the battles are dangerous, the stakes are high, and victory is not ensured!  These groups are generally called a “party” or “fellowship” and they have champions, grizzled vets, and novices in their ranks.  Just like a fantasy story, my team was journeying into unknown territory headed to a place where you can almost hear a veteran say, “One does not simply walk into a Big boy, big girl track meet!”  Ready or not we loaded up the bus and headed out, under a bright blue sky.

  *** Author Adrian Essigmann has eighteen books in print on Amazon.com, soon to be nineteen!  All of them are $.99 cents on Kindle, with the exception of “An Assumed Risk” which will be (Lord willing) an e-book before summer.  All of his books are available in soft cover too!  Type Amazon Adrian Essigmann and his author’s page should come up ***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

A Writer's Journey Part II

The Old Track Dog