First Track Meet 2019 Cuba-Rushford


Location: Cuba-Rushford

Track and field seems simple.  Just run around the track, throw things, or jump.  The reality is that those skills are much more involved than one might imagine.  Ideally you build athletes up over a period of six years and they cover the points allowing younger athletes to grow.  Take my daughter Autumn.  She tested up to varsity in seventh grade but she was nothing special.  By the end of that year Autumn made sectionals in pole vault.  In eighth grade Autumn learned how to do discus and placed fifth at the county meet in discus and again pole vaulted at sectionals.  In ninth grade Autumn finally learned how to four step the hurdles and placed sixth at sectionals in the 100H and third in pole vault.  Last year in the DII meet Autumn won the discus, 100 hurdles, and the pole vault.  She’s a senior this year and last night she walked away with the 100 hurdles, the pole vault, and the discus (with a nice PR in the discus!).  It took Autumn five years to reach that point in her skill level and now we just hope she stays healthy as a Senior and she still has room to grow in several skills, which will make her senior year very exciting!

Why does this all matter?  Well, last night as we were riding to the meet I asked my girls team, “If this is your first track meet raise your hand.”  All but three girls raised their hands.  That is a scary.   To quote Tommy Lee Jones, when he played two-face in Batman forever, our meet should have been “massacre under the big top!”  Yet it wasn’t.  It was a quad meet and we scored sixty points!  Unlike a normal meet, they scored us like a mini-invitational.  My daughter did make a good accounting of herself, kicking in 18 points (plus four from the second place 400 R) but that means the team kicked in over 40!!!  Not bad for a bunch of rookies!”

The first thing I liked about my girls is that they are brave!  We have an army of 100 hurdlers!  This warms my heart but the reality is that the 100 Hurdles is a hard event to learn to do properly!  Learning to four step alone is tricky much less leg snap, form, leaning, and sprinting into the first hurdle!  Another sign of this bravery is we only left ONE event open last night!!!  Yeah, you heard that right!  Twelve girls covered ALL the running events AND relays, only leaving ONE field event open!  Shot put was the ONLY event we couldn’t cover!  That is a miracle!  I can think about years where we had a lot more experience where we couldn’t cover one of the relays, a track running event, AND a field event!!  These girls are plucky!!!!  This is NOT a slam on former teams!  I’m a big believer in putting girls into events they are passionate about, and those more experienced JT teams would punish other teams in events that we were in!  We have left the 3200 relay open since 2012 and I would joke with the girls, “We’ll spot them the first event!” with a smile on my face.  This team of rookies didn’t even spot the other team that! 

The 3200 relay girls took the track.  Only one of them had ever been in a track meet before and she’d never done a relay so I had to help them line up in order for inspection.  The official said, “Just so you know coach, we are waving the uniform rule tonight because it is so cold.”  I thanked him but I had already told the team days earlier that no matter how cold it was we would be running in uniform!  The gun went off and Cash Perry got in front of her girl and stayed out in front of her.  Things were looking good!  Cash came in and blind exchanged with Jillian!!  You don’t see that too often in the 3200 relay!!!  That a bunch of rookies were no look exchanging made me very proud!  They looked good doing it too!  Jillian maintained the lead and had a great handoff with Desirea!!  Then I noticed that the other girl didn’t seem to concerned by Desirea’s lead.  “Uh-oh!” I thought and cheered Dezzie on.  Slowly the other teams vet gained on Dez until passing her in the last hundred and blasting for the line!  Dezzie gave it everything she had but she was already red lining!  Pink got the baton and went to work but she was up against a vet closer.  Pink is a seventh grader:)  The girls were disappointed that we lost but I wasn’t.  We broke twelve minutes with three girls who are brand new at running the 800!  Later one girl said, “I think our 3200 relay is going to be good!”  Oh, yeah!  They just need time.

The hundred hurdles was up next.  It was fun for such a little team to flood an event like that!  Usually teams flood the 100 and 200, not the 100 hurdles!  I had five girls run it and that is with one girl who wants more time before she goes in:)  When I have six running it that will be HALF the team!!!  Zoe won her heat and she was pumped!  Poor Harley fell sending her shoe flying and slamming down on the hard surface!  (One girl was like, “Boy is this track hard coach!  I miss ours!”  Yes, little JT has a nice sponge track, that feels good to run on, and doesn’t shred you if you biff a hurdle and take a slide!)  Autumn blew the fast heat away but was horrified at how bad her arms were at the end of the race.  First race of the season??  I’ll take it!

The hundred.  I had two girls in and I thought they did fine, even with the cold!  Lorena, our resident Brazilian, came in fourth!  Not bad!  Zoe ran hard and got a better time than she did last week in practice!

Team Captain Jillian had Pink all set up with the 1500 runners when I jogged over.  I pulled her aside and told her to tuck in behind the leaders.  “Coach, these girls say they usually run 5:30s!” she said unhappily.  I looked back at my seventh grader and said, “Pink, just do what you can!”  She placed 3rd in the event and although she couldn’t keep up with the two Cuba girls she made a valiant effort!

The 400 relay!  An event with blindingly quick passes and blurs of motion!  An event this unit is brand new at:)  Out of three teams we came in second and I see a lot of room for improvement, so that is good!  Autumn leads that relay coming off of the blocks, Harlee is next, followed by Desirea, and Lorena is our closer!

Open 400.  Our 400 powerhouse, Allison Hayes, is out for the season with a torn meniscus from basketball.  It would have been nice for Paige to have one more year in her shadow before she had to shoulder the responsibility of being the JT girl in the fast heat.  But bravely Paige stepped into the ring and did alright.  She told me, “I got pulled too fast in the beginning!”  Kelsey ran in the slow heat and ran on her toes the whole way!  My wife was like, “Is that a good idea?”  I’m like, “Oh, yeah!!  That is superior style!  If she grows into that she is going to be good!”  Kelsey is a worker, so I think she will!

400 IH.  It was Jill’s third running event and there was no one weak in the event!  Still, Jill pushed hard, straining up until the end when she hit the line! 

800.  Andrea is brand new and has been battling with a hurt ankle from soccer season, that kept hurting through basketball.  The doctor says that is how it is going to be, so we have to deal with it!  I told Andrea too tuck in and go with the leader.  Andrea got bored of before the first 200 line and moved to pass the girl.  The other girl was having none of that and quickened her pace.  I ran to the other side of the track and Andrea was behind the girl but almost stepping on the girls heels they were so close.  “Alright, go ahead and pass her!” I called out.  Andrea moved out into the passing lane.  “Do so quickly!” I yelled.  She did.  Then she pulled away, to win the 800 easily.  She wasn’t pleased with her time and I admitted she could easily improve it but I said, “Hey, a win is a win!”  It was then I realized she didn’t realize she had won!  There were boys running in the same heat and Andrea hadn’t realized that all the girls were behind her:)

200.  Lorena got confused and missed the 200.  I was proud of Zoe for not complaining about being in the fast heat.  I’ve had girls duck it or whine about it.  Zoe was just mad she didn’t win.  I like that:)  I just said, “Zoe, you’ve got to lose before you can win!  Just keep working hard!”

3000.  Cash was not pleased about being in the 3000.  We had already several debates about it that ended with me saying, “You’re doing it.”  Now she came over to pole vault.  “Coach,” she said, tears in playing at the edge of her eyes, “I CAN’T do the 3000!  I hit the bar in high jump three times!  I have bruises!  I hurt!”  I’m trying to watch the vault and say, “Cash, I want you to get in the race... you can always drop out if you need to.”  A very unhappy Cash couldn’t believe what she was hearing.  “I HURT!!”  I nodded and said, “I believe you.”  I’m glad my wife was there.  She came over, wrapped Cash up in her arms and consoled her.  As glad as I was that my wife did that, I was unmoved.  During the 800 as I’m cheering on Andrea she said, “Coach, I can’t do the 3, 000!”  “Yes, you can,” I replied, focusing on Andrea’s race.  Her eyes narrowed.  “Just so I know, how do I drop out of the 3, 000?”  I replied over my shoulder, “Just run it Cash.”  I find her after I watch Zoe run.  “Let’s go,” I say, like a warden taking an inmate out into the yard.  Cash shed her blanket.  “Let’s jog,” I said.  Cash rolled her eyes but followed me.  “I hope you know, I’m going to lose.”  “Just do your best,” I reply.  We get to the line.  “You’re going to win,” Cash informs the other girl unhappily.  I let Cash keep her jacket as long as I can avoiding the daggers from those little eyes.  Finally, I take it and the gun goes off.  Cash blasts off the line and starts to run. 

She gives me a dirty look as she goes by the first time but both of her team Captains are cheering for her and she perks up.  I’m more concerned about the girl behind her.  No panic on that girl’s face, distance stride, and she’s not falling behind.  My mind screams, “Distance horse!”  Oh, oh!  Cash is going to actually have a battle her first race 3, 000 race.  Cash slows some but she’s still keeping a good pace into the second mile.  The girl behind her isn’t phased.  She ever so slowly closes the gap and then suddenly darts by Cash.  I didn’t know how Cash would take this but to my surprise, she didn’t panic.  She continued to run, not giving up.  The last lap Cash tried heroically to close the gap but to no avail.  The last hundred the other girl kicked and much to my surprise and pleasure, Cash kicked too, even though she knew she was going to lose!  I walk up to my eighth grader and say with a small smile, “Well, Cash, welcome to Varsity.”  She gives me a serious look back and says, “Thanks for making me run that.”  I nod and smile.  “Oh, kiddo, you are going to be good!”  Then I turn my attention to my very green 1600 relay unit.

1600 relay.  I remember the year our 1600 relay team almost went to states!  That was amazing!  These girls are very new at the event and I was hoping they would at least break six minutes.  They did MUCH better than that!  The passes weren’t quite as good as I would have liked but that is to be expected because we assembled the team a week after the 3200 relay team was formed.  Still, the girls gave it everything they had and although they lose to Cuba, we beat BR!  I was very pleased!  I was worried we were going to get killed!  The girls had risen to the occasion!!  Andrea led off the relay followed, by Kelsey, then Paige (the only vet), and then Desirea is the fourth leg, my closer.  You should have seen her run that!  It was like she poured all of her frustration from losing the 3200 into that race!  It was amazing!!  The meet is closing and I think, “Oh, if only they didn’t have to face C-G at home on Tuesday!”  C-G is a good team and they usually have a 1600 relay team in the hunt for patches.  Then I realize these girls are working hard and I need to look beyond the early season, to what we will become.  What do I mean?  When you watch the Olympics, do you care how many invitationals the athlete has won going into the race?  No.  It doesn’t matter how many little races they have won or lost, it just matters what happens in that big meet.  Track is much the same way and I just hope the girls can survive losing so that they can win.

Discus.  Autumn threw seventy in warm up, impressing the girls from the other teams.  Autumn wasn’t so impressed, she’s been throwing in the seventies for years.  BUT when she heard she got a 81 she was very excited!! 

Pole Vault.  Autumn recognized one of her competitors from indoor track.  The girl was a good vaulter and was out.  The girl was over to watch vaulting anyway and Autumn did not disappoint.  She went over 7’7” and then was told, “You won.  What height do you want?”  She said, “Let’s do 8’6”!”  She blasted over that.  “Do you want to call it a day?” I asked nervously.  She was like, “Naw!” and took some great hits at 9 feet.  Jill went over 6’1” but struggled over 6’7”.  She has a great grip on the pole though, so I think we just need to work on her dragging her body up and she will crush that height and seven feet!

High Jump.  Cash and Harlee, both brand new jumpers, passed the first two heights and Cash went one more.  Cash ended up taking third in the meet and has the war wounds to prove it!

Long Jump and Triple Jump.  Pink and Stephanie are my two jumpers.  They are both new, so there distances aren’t that impressive but Coach David is working hard with them and I’m hoping for some big things this season! 

Thanks for tuning in!  We have a long road ahead of us and different athletes will get longer stories depending on the meet and what happens!  What an adventure this young team and I have started out on! 



*** Author Adrian Essigmann has eighteen books in print on Amazon.com, soon to be nineteen!  All of them are $.99 cents on Kindle, with the exception of “An Assumed Risk” which will be (Lord willing) an e-book before summer.  All of his books are available in soft cover too!  Type Amazon Adrian Essigmann and his author’s page should come up ***


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

A Writer's Journey Part II

The Old Track Dog