Skater Boy - Coming of Age Story Part I


Title: Skater Boy – Coming of Age Story
Part I

In real life, you don’t know when a story is beginning.  A young person tells you something they want to do and it could get lost in the sands of time.  I told my Grandma K that I wanted to build a tree house style Starship Enterprise in my backyard.  She listened patiently as I went into great detail about this project, that was never going to happen.  I think I talked about this same idea for days and she just listened.  Each day we would arrive at her house and she would make me a tuna fish sandwich and probably took several aspirins herself:)  I also wanted to become a detective and a fireman... those never happened either.  When I was a Youth Pastor, Jared Ingraham came up to me when he was twelve and said, “I’m going to be a singer someday!”  I said weakly, “That’s great!”  Jared couldn’t sing at that point in his life and has dad was a genius pastor but not a soloist.  There was no way this was going to happen!  But by college Jared was a very popular singer and an incredible musician and song writer.  Jared’s story still amazes me!!  Sometimes adults help begin the story by pointing out a child’s skill in a certain area and the story is about them helping the child bring out this hidden talent or ability.  Sometimes, the child has a dream no one else can see or even believe is possible.  My son Matthew had such a dream.

Matthew walked up to me as I was sitting at the kitchen table, working on my Sunday Morning Sermon.  “Dad?” he asked.  I glance up, my thoughts a million miles away, as I respond, “Yeah?”  He said, “I want to be an Olympic figure skater!”  I blinked and sat back in my chair staring at him.  I kind of knew what figure skating was, because my mom loved it.  I remember her watching the Olympics on our TV intensely.  I would glance over as a girl on ice skates glided about, my mother giving nervous commentary about the moves the young lady was executing.  To me it was dreadfully boring, so I kept walking to my room.  I guess I always assumed my son would play soccer like I did... or even baseball because he seemed to be very good at hitting, but FIGURE SKATING????  “Um....” I think was all I managed at first.  “Where did you even see figure skating?”  He told me he had seen some video at Grandma’s house. 

I looked down at my blond haired, diminutive son, who’s head barely was above the kitchen table.  If he had said, “Dad, I’m planning on becoming a superhero, sign my up for kick boxing!” it would have seemed just as improbable.  It was the middle of summer for Pete sake!!  Who even thinks about ice skating in the summer?  Then I remembered something....  “Well,” I said slowly, “someone just donated five pairs of inline skates to the church and told me to give them out to kids.  Why don’t you pick one out and skate on the back porch?”

I didn’t realize Almighty God was already working in this story... a story that I failed to grasp had just started!  One month before Matt’s big declaration a visiting relative of a church family had donated five pairs of inline skates to be given out by me to kids who wanted them.  Since I was a pastor they figured I was the best one to do this task.  “Great, thanks,” I told them, not really sure what to do.  NOW I know a lot of kids but in my earlier ministry days... I was still very new to the area!  God knew.  He had them waiting for my son.  In my almost twenty-five years of ministry I have only been given inline skates to hand out once.  If I did a straw pole of the pastors in my area, I’ll bet none of them have ever had that happen.  God was on the move and I didn’t even know it.  I went back to work.

The next day a triumphant Matthew said, “I did it!”  Again, I was lost in the ether of the adult world, so I asked, “What did you do, Matt?”  A very proud Matthew said, “I just skated on the back porch for five minutes!”  If this was a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book for adults, there would have been several choices.  “If you say to your son, ‘THAT’S AMAZING!!  Give me a high five!!’” Go to page 25.  “If you tell your son, ‘That’s nice.  Good for you!’  Go to page 11.   What did I say?  “Well, Matt.  I don’t really care about figure skating, so it’s no skin off my nose, BUT if you want to be an Olympian?  They practice for hours!”  I don’t think that as an option in the adult Choose Your Own Adventure book, but that is what I said.  A former athlete, Vanessa Helgeland, sums me up well, when she said, “Coach, you give lousy pep talks!!”  Her words could not be truer in this situation but Matt turned around and marched out to the back porch.  He skated for hours that summer on it!  I mean hours!  I think he was going into third grade that year!!  I was impressed with his work ethic but still had no idea where to get ice skating lessons from.

I asked the youth group in October, “What do you guys want to do?”  The kids looked at each other and said, “We want to go to a hockey game!”  We had dial up internet at this point, so finding information wasn’t as easy as it is today.  I decided to stop by the Elmira stadium ticket booth in the evening and discovered, to my dismay, that they were not open.  I didn’t have a lot of money and kicked myself for not calling first.  As I turned to go, I noticed small sign taped to the wall.  “Figure Skating Lessons - $40 for four lessons.” 

Do you understand the odds of my seeing this sign?  Remote!!  I probably would have discovered Corning Ice Rink eventually but that program was on a lower level from Elmira when it comes to ice skating lessons.  I think God moved events so that I saw that sign when I did.  My youth group never again asked to go to a hockey game and the only ones we’ve gone to since are ones around an event done by “Word of Life," an event where you buy the whole night from Word of Life and have no reason to visit the local box office.  

My mother-in-law heard about Matt’s lessons and immediately wanted to help.  She bought him his own ice skates and offered to pay for the lessons.  Little did I realize how much she would eventually be part of this quest Matthew had embarked on.

Author Michelle Ule defines a Coming of Age story as, “A coming of age story describes the changes that happen in a young person’s life as they mature from childhood to young adulthood.”  This is a look at the genre, while examining a character who is not pretend.  Unlike Jack Pascel (Assumed Risk Series), Myth (Asylum Series), Little Wolf (Wolf Hunting), Will (American Fairytale), or Calder (Life, Liberation, and the Pursuit of Video Games), Matthew is a real person.  He is my son.  Doesn’t that negate the “Coming of Age” genre then?  After all, this is not a fictional story, shouldn’t it be under a different category?  I think exploring the genre with a real life story is fun, especially a story I was a part of. 

Matthew has already experienced some character growth.  Although his father wasn’t very kind about it, Matt learned that he would have to leave a child’s work ethic behind if he wanted to achieve his goal.  He skated for hours with no promise of ice cream, money, or rewards.  In fact, to be honest, I didn’t care whether he skated or not.  However, I was proud of him and he was already winning my heart in this area.  If he hadn’t have put in the effort over the summer I don’t think I would have gone out of my way to do lessons.  Now if Matt had wanted to do a baseball clinic or soccer camp, I would have tried to move heaven and earth for that:)  Matt’s not the only one that grows in this story... I grow too:)

 *** Author Adrian Essigmann has eighteen books in print on Amazon.com, soon to be nineteen!  All of them are $.99 cents on Kindle, with the exception of “An Assumed Risk” which will be (Lord willing) an e-book before summer.  All of his books are available in soft cover too!  Type Amazon Adrian Essigmann and his author’s page should come up ***

Book of the Week – American Fairytale - $.99 cents on Amazon Kindle books (paper version is available too) – “This book blends the magic of a Fairytale with historical fiction. Although it is set in the years leading up to the American Revolution, it has an evil wizard, a princess, and other worldly weapons. It is a book that can be enjoyed by the whole family, yet has hidden meanings that an adult will find stimulating.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

The Old Track Dog

A Writer's Journey Part II