Skater Boy - Coming of Age Part V


Title: Skater Boy – Coming of Age
Part V

Earlier in Matt’s career I had been killing time at a rink, when I happened upon a mother and a daughter.  The mother was screaming at the girl about how much money she had invested in the girl's skating and that the girl couldn’t just quit.  As I walked away I thought, “That is never going to be me!  If Matt ever wants to quit, that’s fine.”  I know that in the beginning of Matt’s career I wasn’t a big fan of figure skating but I now thought it was awesome!  Still I never lost that conviction that he could quit at anytime no matter how good he became.  I might have asked him to finish out that month to make sure he meant it but I had no intention of forcing Matt to continue down this path if he grew to hate it at some point.

So... a few years later, I wondered if Matt was sick of skating and just didn’t have the guts to tell us.  Mom Card would call and say, “Well, he got sick again.  I think there is something wrong.”  She thought he was “unwell” but as she described his symptoms, it started to sound more and more like Matt wanted out of skating.  Matt would be fine.  They would drive over an hour to the rink and then suddenly he would get sick.  He would throw up and couldn’t skate.  So, Mom Card would drive Matt back to her house and within a short span of time, he was fine.  The first few times this happened I thought, “Boy, that is weird.”  But as this became a regular thing I thought, “Matt, doesn’t want to do this anymore.”

This suspicion became reinforced when Mom Card drove Matt back home from Ithaca after getting to the rink and “violently” throwing up.  Then he got to our house and was fine.  I thought, “There is no sickness I know of where you get sick only long enough to get out of doing an activity and then you are fine.”  I got Matt alone and gave him the a Dad speech.  I probably talked a long time but for the sake of your time, dear reader, I will boil it down to, “Matt, if you don’t want to skate anymore, that’s okay.  It’s not the end of the world.  Just because you were in the paper and all that, doesn’t mean you are committed to being a skater forever now.”

Matt listened to the speech but insisted that he still wanted to skate.  I thought, “WHAT??????”  Mom Card was spending over a thousand a month in rink fees, coaches fees, professional skates, gas, food, and competitions!  Gail and I were spending about a thousand dollars a years buying a homeschool curriculum called, “Sonlight.”  Occasionally, we would drive him up to Ithaca (which was two hours one way!!!), to help Mom Card out.  That was expensive and time consuming.  It was one thing if your kid really wants to go to the Olympics but totally another if he is constantly getting “sick” and come back home without practicing!  

You have to understand my culture too.  My drama director used to say, “Don’t call in sick, crawl in sick!”  You say, “That’s mean!”  Is it though?  You’ve practiced for months to perform a show four times.  No one can replace you in time.  If it all possible, you need to gut through it!  I’ve been on stage with people that have a high temperature, are white as a ghost (under their stage makeup), and throwing up off stage.  The audience never knew.  Then there is my mother.  When I was a teen, she would send me to school even when I told her I didn’t feel well.  I wasn’t lying but she noticed I had a normal temperature.  She taught me that valuable skill of gutting through discomfort and it has served me well as an adult.  I rarely call off sick.  I think I’ve only missed one Sunday morning service in my close to twenty years as the Pastor of a church due to sickness.  Sometimes I’ll ask people not to shake my hand or get close but past that I get the job done.  So it was hard to watch Matthew have such an odd sickness, after growing up in a hardcore, “Suck it up!” culture.  (By the way, the Lord is good, in that I have been able to be so healthy all these years.  Just because I’ve been able to battle through bouts of sickness and still perform my job, doesn’t mean that other people don’t have serious issues that prevent them from doing something.  I am in no way implying that another pastor or person, who is sick a fair amount of time, should just “suck it up!” if they have serious health issues).

“I’m taking him to the food allergist!” Mom declared out of the blue.

In my mind that was like saying, “There is this nice doctor who is an expert on Medieval medicine!  He was wonderful leaches and lances to get out the ‘bad’ blood!  Oh, and he says you should only take a bath once a year!”  Yeah, that was my attitude on that!  The quack said Matthew was allergic to wheat.  I wondered how that explained Matt’s extremely odd instant sickness, when he had to practice, but we went with it.  Matt cleared up and was able to practice hard again!!  Wow!

Interestingly enough, though, I was in my thirties and I knew something was wrong with me.  When I was young I had always spent a lot of time in the bathroom, but I was a reader, so no problem.  In my late twenties and early thirties I would get up to go jogging and have a hard time going to the bathroom.  So finally I would go out jogging and suddenly have to go really bad right in the middle of a long run!!  Ugg!!  I was having other problems too and they were getting worse!  My mom was diagnosed with Celiac disease and couldn’t eat wheat.  Did I have it checked out?  Are you kidding me?  I liked eating bread!  Gail used to make homemade bread that was better than cake or cookies!  Oh, how I loved slathering butter on that warm goodness that melted in my mouth each week!  I also liked the Friday fish fry at the local store and of course, I loved pizza!!  Not to mention cake, sandwiches, pancakes, cookies, and so much more!

I told Gail, “I’ll go on this diet too in solidarity with Matthew but I’m not sick!”  So for months I did the barbaric gluten free meal plan and although Gail tried hard, it was awful!  I’ll never forget the first time we had GF pizza.  I told Gail, “I never want to eat GF pizza again.”  She had worked very hard on it and Gail is an amazing cook, BUT it was just horrible!  After a few months Gail and I had our big two day date.  I told her, “I’m not sick, so I’m going to eat whatever I want to!!!  Matt’s not here.”  She didn’t really say anything.  I had Subway with a yummy chocolate chip cookies, pizza, and burgers WITH the buns!!  I got VIOLENTLY sick for five days.  I still remember how much pain I was in to this day.  After that I stayed on Matt’s diet and life is good.  From the bathroom taking hours a week, to minutes, and so many more things!  I know people think that food allergies are a “mental thing” but that is just not true.  Matt was skating like a champ again, I felt good, and Adrianna had less psychotic episodes!

What you say?  My sweet Puffy had psychotic episodes?  When she was younger she was a well behaved kid at school but then she would suddenly have an event where she was out of control!  This was rare and out of character but I would have never associated it with food.  Puff was the one most likely to cheat out of the four of us (Autumn is allergic to wheat too).  When a kid goes to school and is big enough to sneak out to the store, it is hard to control their diet every second.  We came to recognize the symptoms of an episode though and finally Puff realized she had a problem too.  (She often will not remember what happens during a psychotic event).  Puff will go ghost white and she is quite pale to begin with!  I often think of Danny Phantom when he says, “I’m going ghost!”  Who?  Um... never mind!  Puff will get irrational and have violent mood swings.  The only thing to do when that happened is have her go to bed.  As an adult, she has learned to tell if she got poisoned (someone accidentally giving her wheat in her food) and immediately sleeps it off. 

At times in the “Coming of Age” story a character’s quest will benefit others in unexpected ways.  What if Matt had not been trying to be the best skater in the world with thousands of dollars being invested in that goal?  My growing problem might have forced me to stop being a coach and Adrianna’s life might have turned out very differently!  Matt might have also been “that kid” in athletics that just needs to “suck it up!”  Autumn would have eventually had violent stomach aches as she got older.  Because of Matt, we caught a problem that might have done horrible things to our family!!

*** Author Adrian Essigmann has eighteen books in print on Amazon.com, soon to be nineteen!  All of them are $.99 cents on Kindle, with the exception of “An Assumed Risk” which will be (Lord willing) an e-book before summer.  All of his books are available in soft cover too!  Type Amazon Adrian Essigmann and his author’s page should come up ***

Book of the Week – American Fairytale - $.99 cents on Amazon Kindle books (paper version is available too) – “This book blends the magic of a Fairytale with historical fiction. Although it is set in the years leading up to the American Revolution, it has an evil wizard, a princess, and other worldly weapons. It is a book that can be enjoyed by the whole family, yet has hidden meanings that an adult will find stimulating.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

A Writer's Journey Part II

The Old Track Dog