How I became a writer part XXIII


Title: How I became a writer
Part XXIII

When I think of deception in sports, I think of backyard football.  There is the fake handoff, the Statue of Liberty play, throwing the ball to a receiver behind the line of scrimmage and then the receiver throws the ball to the Quarter back as he or she runs past the linemen who just stopped counting “steam boats,” a pump fake pass, the reverse, and so on.  In tennis I have a friend Brendo Johnson who can suddenly slice the ball, so that when it bounces on your side, it has a backspin on it.  When I play Doug Myers, he does the same thing with a ping pong ball and you have to be on your toes when he does:)  Pitchers sometimes throw screwballs and knuckleballs, to try and trick you into swinging wrong at the ball.  Pitchers will also wind up as if they are going to throw the ball and then suddenly throw the ball to a baseman to try and catch a player moving away from the base off guard.  When you think of track and field, how can there be any deception?  Isn’t everything super straight forward?  You might be surprised:)

It was a windy night at Arkport.  I had an excellent distance runner, Courtney Cornell, who in XC had almost gone to states missing it only by two places and had come in thirteenth at McQuaid, a huge invitational, but in track she only did the 800 and the 1500.  She had been very successful at those, winning sectionals in the 1500 in ninth grade and coming two seconds off the school record her junior year.  She would place nicely in the 800, even at invitationals with bigger schools.  BUT I wanted to know how good she was at the 3000 (a distance a little shorter than two miles).  Usually Courtney ran two or three events and triple jumped in a weekday meet but tonight, I had saved her for just the 3000.  We were going to lose to Arkport anyway, they just had too many guns, and I wanted to see what Court (my nickname for her) could do against their star 3000 girl.  The two hundred dash was just wrapping up and soon Court would be running, when Katie Wyant came up to me.  Katie was a phenomenal runner (going to States her senior year in the 400) and she would run many events in every meet but that night she said, “Coach, My leg feels funny.  I don’t think I should run the 1600 relay because I think I’m going to pull it.”  We couldn’t have that and I immediately sent her home!  Our relay team was very good that year (they almost made it to states that year too) as was Arkport's, so I still wanted to run it. 

Who had I put in as the alternate?  Suddenly it hit me!  For some reason I had only listed Courtney as the alternate!  I was at the start line and the 3000 stars on the opposite corner.  I always dress up for track meets, so in dress shoes, I sprinted across the infield screaming Courtney’s name.  The official was just coming over to line the girls up.  Usually in a weeknight meet the girls and boys will be run the this race at the same time from opposite sides (boys run the 3200 in New York State) and so the official makes sure we are ready at both ends.  I had only seconds until he put Courtney on the line.  Over the wind I said, “Throw it!”  “What?” she asked back, confused.  “Jog the 3000, I need you in the 1600 relay!”  I think in some of my early years as a coach the scratch rule was in effect, requiring you to run every event you sign up for.  The last several years our county has become much more laid back about meets, allowing athletes coaches who forgot to sign up run an event anyway, and eliminating enforcement of the scratch rule.  Oh, everyone takes the meet seriously but not to the point where a child loses an opportunity, due to a mistake of putting them in too many events or not putting them in an event.  A less ethical thing to do when the scratch rule is enforced (like a sectional meet) is to false start and be DQed from the event without penalty.  I don’t believe in doing things like that and there is no rule that says a runner can’t run an event at a slower pace, it happens all the time for various reasons.  Usually a top distance runner like Courtney Cornell does not JOG a race she has been saved for and quickly the crowd realized what was going on.  It must have killed Court to let the lead runner lap her but she did as I asked.  Running over to Kaitlin Smith, Jen Cady, and Jessica Thomas (all excellent athletes) I said, “Court is going to be last in the relay!”  Worried looks.  That would change the handoff order significantly.  “Guys, she’s still running the 3000, she cant’ be first runner in the relay.”  That made sense to the girls and they willingly made the adjustment.” 

The last race was about to be run and the crowd was prepped for it.  What I didn’t realize is that a trick was about to be played.  Usually you save your fastest runner for last but “Langer” (my nickname for the excellent coach of the Arkport girls) had made a switch.  He put his anchor second.  I don’t think his anchor that night was Megan G (Courtney’s rival in the 800 and the 1500) because I would have recognized her instantly.  I think Langer was counting on that and he put his slowest girl last.  That might not SOUND like a big deal but it is definitely NOT the way this is normally run.  Poor Jen Cady battled hard against her girl in the second leg not realizing she was up against the anchor!  She ran with everything she had but unfortunately Jen got dropped hard.  Not realizing what was going on, I thought it was over.  Jessica Thomas gave it everything she had (third leg) and closed the gap some...but it was still too far.  We weren’t going to win.  I had saved Courtney for nothing!  In frustration I hissed to Court, “I don’t care if we are going to lose, you have to run for training today!  Kitchen sink, Court, kitchen sink!  Use it as a training drill and get as close to her as you can by the end!”  In some ways this was a very unusual situation.  Kaitlin, Jen, and Jessica ran multiple events (Kaitlin and Jen were both lethal in the 100 hurdles), so they were far from fresh, and Arkport girls ran multiple events too.  For a distance runner like Courtney, jogging two miles was a warm up, a joke. I think this odd situation played into what happened next.  The Arkport girl took off like a rocket when she got the baton.  What I didn’t know is that before she got the pass my fellow JT coach Mike Davis noticed she was scared out of her mind, twisting the baton in her hands, and eyeing the famous Courtney Cornell.  That’s not how an Anchor that is going to receive the baton with a big head start acts!  Running like a pack of wolves was after her, the Arkport girl was close to the break-line and the 1500 meter start before Court even got the baton!  Wow!  In a relay that is game over.  You are never going to make up that much distance.  But I screamed, “Kitchen sink!” at her one more time and Courtney was a good girl, so she engaged.  Courtney’s mom held the school record in the 200 for years and maybe a little of that short distance ability was with her because Courtney took off at mach 5.  This is extremely dangerous in a 400 because you can burn out but we were going to lose anyway right, so what did it matter?  Throwing caution to the wind, Courtney pushed herself to the redline as she chased the girl so impossibly far in front of her!   Speaking of wind, there was a very nasty headwind on the far side of the track!  It was so awful that night you could literally see runners when they hit it... it was like they were hitting a wall it was so strong!  Court hit it and instead of slowing her down, she seemed to be fighting through it with superhuman strength, gaining visibly on the girl in front of her. 

Everyone in the whole place was now riveted to this race.  Like I knew Arkport’s Champion, Megan G, they all knew who Courtney Cornell was.  As the two girls were coming around the last bend toward the last one hundred the crowd was screaming so loud I doubt Courtney heard me over the din... which probably didn’t matter because I’m sure all I was screaming was something along the lines of “run faster!”  Duh, right?  I remember thinking, “Oh, what a race!  What an effort but she’ll still never win!”  Courtney had closed the gap significantly but the head start her opponent had was beyond belief!  Down that last hundred line they went and still Courtney was visibly gaining!  I wasn’t at the finish line, watching the race from the 100 meter start at on the infield, but people told me about the finish.  They said, “It was like the Arkport girl was two steps away and Courtney six and then... suddenly Courtney was in front of her and crossing the finish line first!  We had won!  Well, that event anyway:) 

In my writing journey, I was about to be deceived.  I don’t want to name of the self-publishing company I had chosen (a big name company attached to a legit publishing house) because what happened next might have been an dishonest employee trying to pad their numbers, instead of company policy.  Whatever the reason, I was about to be tricked.  My wife had been very gracious when I told her they were going to charge us $1000 dollars to put “An Assumed Risk” in print.  We didn’t have that kind of money but she said calmly, “Honey, this is a life dream of yours, so we will make it happen!”  The man I was dealing with called me up and said, “Mr. Essigmann, your book is really too big.  We need to divide it up into two or three parts.”  (That’s not the dishonest part, that is still coming.  To be fair the book was huge!  200, 000+ words is enormous!!)  I refused firmly, realizing this agent had never read my book.  I replied, “No way!  The payoff is in the back half of the book!  Without there won’t be a second book!”  (If he had read it, he could have argued for the farm battle as a great stopping point and I might have listened... might have listened:)  I didn’t have another thousand anyway.  What I was doing was a stretch!  A few days later he calls back.  “Mr. Essigmann, I know I quoted you the price of $32 dollars a book (outrageous for a soft cover book but I didn’t know that) but I made a mistake.  It is actually going to be $34.99.  My heart fell but that really isn’t too different so I took it.  “If we split it up though, it would cost much less!” the company rep said with a very sincere voice... like he was my friend.  He wasn’t:(  “No!” I said.  A few days later I got called back.  “Mr. Essigmann, this is (blah, blah) from (major self-publishing company), I’m sorry but we messed up.  Your book is actually going to be $39.99 (I’m not kidding or exaggerating!)  I’m like, “$39.99????  Who is going to pay that??”  He brought up splitting up the book again and then soothed me with the e-book option where I could charge much less.  In 2010 e-books aren’t quite what they are today but it gave me some hope.  No one was going to be buying a 39.99 book, that is for sure!!  Earlier (back when the price was $32.99) I had called the company service rep and said, “Why don’t we cut out the $10 I’m going to make, and sell the book for $22.99?”  “Oh, Mr. Essigmann, that’s not how this works!” he replied.  “Besides, you aren’t going to really make that much off the book.  Only a couple of dollars.”  I should have realized with that bold faced lie there, that this man was very dishonest.  But I was new to this whole thing and took it at face value.  “Maybe I’m remembering what he said wrong,” I had told myself.  A few days later I got another call from the company rep.  “Mr. Essigmann, I am so sorry, we realize now that your book is going to cost $45.99 (I think he actually said $49 but... I still can’t believe that, so I list the lower price here).  I was devastated.  No one was ever going to buy my book.  He was talking about splitting up my book again but I wasn’t listening.  I was defeated.  The dream was over.  Like the relay though, the dream was far from over... I was just being tricked.

(Author Adrian Essigmann has a page on Amazon where all eighteen of his books are listed ((soon to be nineteen:)).  Type in Amazon Adrian Essigmann and click on the link that says, “Adrian Essigmann – Amazon.com” which should take you to his author’s page.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a writer Part III

A Writer's Journey Part II

The Old Track Dog